Last Thursday, Strategic Alliance, in partnership with leading health organizations from across the state, released A Healthy Future for California -- a platform and call to action targeting state leaders and policymakers. Unveiled during an ENACT Day rally on the Capitol steps, the platform puts forth concrete policy recommendations to make California a healthier, safer and more equitable state.
For decades, Californians up and down the state have worked to improve the health of neighborhoods, schools and workplaces. A Healthy Future for California builds on these community innovations and shines a spotlight on ways the state government can scale up these efforts so that we can safeguard health in all California communities -- from improving access to healthy food and safe places to play, to fostering a health care system that prevents illness and injuries in the first place. The report calls for dedicated investments to support the high-quality, community-based prevention that California communities want and need.
A Healthy Future for California has been endorsed by 40 state and national organizations. The platform lays out a road map for a healthier California based on the following three principles:
- It’s time to invest in quality, community-based prevention.
- Improving health and safety conditions in all communities—especially those that historically have been underserved—requires systems that value prevention at every stage of life.
- Government can function as a model and catalyst for change, stimulating best practices in prevention and bringing successful strategies to scale.
We encourage you to explore the document and share A Healthy Future for California on social media:
- "Govt can function as a model & catalyst for change" - Our vision for a healthy and equitable CA http://ow.ly/xxdub via @PreventionInst
- Vision & policy recs for A Healthy Future for California via @PreventionInst http://ow.ly/xxdub #phealth
Photo credit: @CalEndow_HERE