Communications Manager with San Gabriel Valley
ActiveSGV was launched as an all-volunteer community project in 2010 by a small group of concerned community members who shared a vision of a cohesive network of people-friendly streets in the San Gabriel Valley.
Led by a small team of San Gabriel Valley residents passionate about advancing sustainable mobility in east Los Angeles County, ActiveSGV has made strides over the past eight years. Highlights include securing funding for and facilitating the development of bicycle and/or pedestrian master plans in over a dozen SGV cities; opening the region's first youth-focused community bicycle cooperative and education center in El Monte; facilitating one of the largest open streets event in the country - 8 communities! - in 2017; launching one of the first 'traffic school for bikes' programs in the state of California; and administering one of the nation's first electric bike rebate programs, which placed over 100 of these green mobility devices into the hands of San Gabriel Valley residents.
Our valley and state are faced with serious environmental, health, and social challenges, issues that ActiveSGV has increasingly had to grapple with in its work. Local air quality has taken a nose dive after decades of improvement. Families and young adults cannot afford to stay in their homes and live close to their places of work. Too many city streets and transit stops lack basic design features like trees, benches, and shade. We are looking for passionate individuals that share our mission; to create a more sustainable, equitable, and livable San Gabriel Valley!
ActiveSGV seeks a highly motivated Communications Manager to support the organization's projects and programs. Under the direction of the Executive Director, the Communications Manager will oversee the development and implementation of ActiveSGV projects, programs, and services aimed at advancing the organization's mission. Individual must be organized and prioritize workload; have experience in organizing and coordinating events; be self-motivated, with the ability to work effectively in both independent and team environments; possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to interact positively and effectively with colleagues, county and elected officials, corporate and philanthropic representatives, and community members; be comfortable working in a fast-paced, project-driven work environment; be able to work respectfully with people of all cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds; and be passionate about the organization's focus area. The successful candidate will help create promotional and educational materials, contribute to the development of project websites and presentations, and interact with staff to effectively deliver our message to the public and the media. This is a full time, exempt position with benefits.
Duties & Responsibilities
Communications Planning & Community Outreach
- Write content for both print and Web including the company website, blog, brochures, and newsletters.
- Responsible for administrative duties which include overseeing program staff, reporting, and program invoicing.
- Create, plan, and implement a communications strategy.
- Monitor the company’s social media and online presence.
- Organize and direct promotional events.
- Recruit, train, and manage volunteers/interns.
- Recommend techniques to improve the organizations public image.
- Make sure that all promotional and marketing materials meet the organizations brand identity strategy.
- Identify and resolve any issues with promotional content in a timely and professional manner.
- Assess and report on the effectiveness of communication strategies.
- Coordinate meetings, press conferences, and presentations.
- Develop and maintain relationships with local, regional, state and federal government representatives and their staff, school board members, business stakeholders, media outlets, public health organizations and other relevant entities.
- When needed, coordinate and facilitate event logistics with partners, subcontractors, vendors, service providers, etc.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communications, English, Public Relations or Journalism.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience working in a marketing or communications position. Or at least 3 years of experience working on grassroots advocacy campaigns, and/or community events, with youth and underserved populations. Masters degree preferred.
- Possess a solid understanding of effective marketing techniques.
- Must have excellent writing and editing skills.
- Be able to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Strong time-management and organizational skills.
- Confident knowledge concerning issues, legislation, plans and programs related to sustainable transportation alternatives, environmental justice, public health and safety, economic development, human rights, sustainable living, green infrastructure, recreation opportunities, nutrition and physical activity.
Personal Characteristics & Skills
- Able to work independently, set, manage and meet goals, outcomes and deadlines, with impeccable organizational skills and consistent follow-through.
- Proficient knowledge using Photoshop, InDesign, and other design tools to create promotional materials.
- Tactful and highly persuasive, with good judgment, enthusiasm, energy, and a positive outlook.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, especially public speaking.
- Preferred: fluent Spanish, Chinese (Mandarin or Cantonese), or Vietnamese language skills.
- An effective team player with an ability to draw out leadership capabilities in others.
- Willing to take public transit, bike, or use alternative methods of sustainable transportation to attend events/meetings.
Full medical, dental, and vision. 403b retirement plan.
We are a bike friendly office, offer remote work opportunities, and are located 4 miles from the Arcadia Gold Line Station/less than 2 miles from the El Monte Bus Depot.
Level of Language Proficiency
Preferred: fluent Spanish, Chinese (Mandarin or Cantonese), or Vietnamese language skills.
How To Apply
In a combined/merged PDF file, please email david@ActiveSGV.org the following items:
- Cover Letter
Address all items to David Diaz and please send a merged PDF file with your first/last name and position title in the email subject. Ex: DavidDiaz_CommunicationsManager.