The Public Health Institute (PHI) is an independent, nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting health, well-being and quality of life for people throughout California, across the nation and around the world. As one of the largest and most comprehensive public health organizations in the nation, we are at the forefront of research and innovations to improve the efficacy of public health statewide, nationally and internationally. PHI was distinguished as one of the top 50 “Best Non-profit Organizations to Work For” by the Non-Profit Times in a national search.
PHI is seeking a HIV Strategic Program Consultant to provide technical assistance and support to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in its efforts to transition programs and support to ensure that Namibia has the country-specific data, technical capacity, human resources, and coordinating mechanisms required to manage its HIV/AIDS response; and to build the capacity of the Government of Namibia to respond to public health emergencies and assure the country can effectively and rapidly detect and respond to global infectious disease threats and related public health security challenges.
Note: This position is contingent on contract award.
The mission of the HHS/Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is to promote the health and quality of life of people by preventing and controlling disease, injury and disability; and to protect Americans both domestic and abroad, by shielding them from health threats via international prevention, detection and response networks. CDC, through its Center for Global Health (CGH) is in a unique position to bring its scientific expertise, subject matter experts in disease outbreaks such as EBOLA and credibility to advance the global initiatives of the United States Government (USG) to save lives, reduce suffering, and support the health and dignity of people around the world. The key elements of CDC’s global health strategy are to:
- Assist Ministries of Health to plan and implement evidence based public health programs.
- Achieve the goals adopted by the USG and international organizations to improve health, including disease eradication and elimination
- Expand CDC’s global health programs that focus on the leading causes of mortality, morbidity and disability, especially chronic disease and
- Generate and apply scientific knowledge to achieve health goals.
- Strengthen health systems and their impact.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The HIV Strategic Program Consultant will provide overall programmatic planning, technical consultation and assistance to the CDC Namibia Senior Management Team in aligning program services and portfolios to address 2015 Namibia Country Operational Plan for PEPFAR data driven requirements. The task focuses on care and treatment, prevention, laboratory, and strategic information programs funded by CDC PEPFAR. Additionally, s/he will support the CDC Namibia’s Senior Science Officer to ensure the integrity and soundness of science based studies and interventions related to CDC funded HIV/AIDS programs.
The HIV Strategic Program Consultant will:
- In collaboration with the Country Director and CDC staff, review overall goals and objectives for the HIV/AIDS program in Namibia and integration of programs/staffing to address PEPFAR requirements, adjust and align with data driven needs in light of decreasing PEPFAR resources.
- In collaboration with CDC programmatic staff, apply a wide range of qualitative and/or quantitative methods to analyzing data for the purpose of providing recommendations for HIV care and treatment, prevention, laboratory, and strategic information programs to improve program effectiveness, efficiency and/or work products in accordance with PEPFAR data driven requirements and guidelines.
- Prepare reports and coordinate the preparation, and presentation of analysis information to CDC Senior Management staff for review and approval.
- Collaborate with the CDC Branch Chiefs and staff to create internal CDC work plans and work with the government to design implementation plans that will address Senior Management approved program recommendations affecting partners. In preparation create related reports, slides, etc., to share and discuss with government partners.
- Assist CDC Namibia in collaborating and facilitating the integration and assumption of existing operating HIV health programs and activities across a broader public health arena in order to refocus CDC funding and programs to targeted areas and populations per PEPFAR guidance and data.
- Provide scientific and technical guidance to host governments, implementing partners, in the development of public health programs, strategies, studies, and services as needed.
- Master’s degree or higher, preferably in a health-related field.
- Five years of post-graduate international experience in strategic planning, development of public health programs and project management.
- Demonstrated experience in use and analysis of a broad scope of qualitative and quantitative methods and data sources, including primary data collection and secondary data analysis.
- At least three years’ experience with PEPFAR programs.
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively with professional, technical staff and Ministries of Health in developing countries; and experience in providing technical assistance for international public health programs.
- Ability to effectively communicate in English on a daily basis with various groups (Speaking, Reading and Writing).
This is an exempt position and the salary is commensurate with experience. PHI offers a generous benefits package including medical, dental, vision, short/long term disability insurance, life insurance, 403b (group retirement annuity) and partial subsidy of public transportation cost. For more information about PHI’s benefits, visit our benefits page at https://www.phi.org.
How to apply:
To apply for this position visit our Career Site at https://www.phi.jobs.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA Employer
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE