Transportation Technical Strategist with The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC)
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 500 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana, and Beijing.
NRDC is seeking a Transportation Technical Strategist with the American Cities Climate Challenge (ACCC) in the Healthy People and Thriving Communities program. The American Cities Climate Challenge is an unprecedented opportunity to support 20 ambitious cities to significantly deepen and accelerate their efforts to tackle climate change and promote a sustainable future for their residents. The Transportation Technical Strategist will serve a critical role providing the participating cities with technical expertise to design and implement policies and programs to decarbonize urban transportation systems. The Transportation Technical Strategist will coordinate and oversee relevant research and manage technical partnerships with organizations that will help the cities achieve maximum uptake and impact.
THIS IS A TERM LIMITED POSITION EXPECTED TO BE THROUGH 12/31/2020.
Learn more about the ACCC at: https://www.bloomberg.org/program/environment/climatechallenge/
- Strategy Development: Lead and oversee analysis of the latest transportation and mobility strategies to advance and accelerate the goals of the American Climate Cities Challenge.
- Coordination: Partner with Technical Strategy leads for Energy Efficiency, Financing and Renewable Energy to integrate policies, programs and financing to achieve streamlined and efficient strategies. Coordinate strategies with other NRDC staff working on transportation and mobility.
- City Support: Support on the ground activities in participating cities, being responsible for communications, coordination and information sharing.
- Manage: Serve as the manager and liaison coordinating the deployment of technical support from the Transportation Technical Bench partners and consultants outside of NRDC.
- Master’s degree in a related field
- At least 5 years of experience in the field of transportation and mobility. Working knowledge of policies and programs related to decarbonizing urban transportation including: vehicle and fleet electrification, shared mobility, public transportation, active transportation, Vision Zero/complete streets, and transportation demand management programs.
- At least 3 years of experience developing, advocating for, or implementing sustainable transportation policy and programs
- Experience working with cities preferred
- Experience overseeing individuals and being part of large, cross-sector, multi-partner initiatives
- Experience with facilitating networks, coordinating and organizing events and activities
- Relevant network among key transportation stakeholders
- Ability to participate in teams that work collaboratively towards shared outcomes
- Excellent writing skills, strong verbal communication, and confident public speaker
- Willingness to travel to participating ACCC cities throughout the United States, as well as to other NRDC offices and U.S. locations as needed
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, for positions based in San Francisco, CA we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal.
Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-800-889-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org