Program Associate, Public Health Institute
The Public Health Institute (PHI) is an independent, nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting health, well-being and quality of life for people throughout California, across the nation and around the world. As one of the largest and most comprehensive public health organizations in the nation, we are at the forefront of research and innovations to improve the efficacy of public health statewide, nationally and internationally. PHI was distinguished as one of the top 50 “Best Non-profit Organizations to Work For” by the Non-Profit Times in a national search.
PHI is seeking a Program Associate I for RISE Up. This position is based in Oakland, CA.
Rise Up advances health, education, and equity by enabling girls, youth, and women to transform their own lives, communities, and countries. Rise Up invests in visionary leaders, local organizations, and innovative solutions to achieve large-scale change in 14 countries across Africa, Latin America, South Asia, and the US. Since 2009, Rise Up’s powerful network of over 500 leaders has directly benefited 7 million girls, youth, and women, and advocated for over 100 laws and policies impacting 115 million people globally.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Rise Up is seeking an experienced Program Associate to play a vital role in our 10-person team at an exciting moment of growth and expansion. Reporting to the Senior Manager of Programs, the Program Associate will support implementation of PHI's Rise Up programs, including communication with participants, grantmaking, logistics and alumni network development.
Duties include working with the Programs Team to coordinate program implementation, monitoring, evaluation, and communications. Ongoing activities will include supporting communication with Rise Up Fellows and Champions, developing a range of program resources, program administration and event/travel coordination. This position includes some travel to under-resourced countries around the world.
Program Support - 85%
- Communicate with network of participants and grantees and disseminate information as needed, including monthly resource emails, supporting social media, logistics, grant reports, and administrative matters
- Support in-country staff with coordinating outreach and recruitment in focus geographies, especially Nigeria and Mexico, including travel to focus countries as needed to work with in-country staff
- Coordinate meeting, international and domestic travel logistics and expenditures (visas, flights, hotel, conference reservations, food, materials, expense reconciliations, etc.) for staff and program participants
- Support grantee selection process, technical assistance, and tracking grantee successes in collaboration with in-country staff and larger programs team
- Compile program meeting agendas, prepare meeting minutes and action items
- Contribute to annual reports and funding proposals
- Research capacity building materials
Grantmaking Support – 15%
- Assist with development of consultant SOWs, amendments, and grant agreements, including disbursement of payments
- Support partner organizations with RFP and proposal submission process
- Bachelor degree required
- Two-three years of experience supporting program implementation in the non-profit or global/ public health sector (preferably including some experience living or working in low-resource settings)
- Fluency in Spanish is required
- Excellent administration and logistic coordination skills
- Demonstrated ability to work with and in diverse communities and cultures
- Ability to work well independently and on a team in a fast-paced environment
- Commitment to advancing social justice for girls, youth, and women globally
- Advanced computer skills in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, database software
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills Ability to think critically about nuanced issues
- Ability to exercise proper discretion and judgment
- Ability to be diplomatic and flexible within changing environments
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong research skills
- Experience collaborating with remote staff and consultants
- Writing sample in Spanish
This is a non-exempt position and the hourly wage is commensurate with experience. PHI offers a generous benefits package including medical, dental, vision, short/long term disability insurance, life insurance, 403b (group retirement annuity) and partial subsidy of public transportation cost. For more information about PHI’s benefits, visit our benefits page at https://www.phi.org.
How to apply:
To apply for this position visit our Career Site at https://www.phi.jobs
We are proud to be an EEO/AA Employer
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE