Outreach Associate with SAJE
SAJE is a 501c3 nonprofit in South Los Angeles. Our mission is to build community power and leadership for economic justice. SAJE is seeking a qualified applicant who will educate low income tenants and “mom and pop” landlords about energy efficiency, water conservation, and tenant rights.
Our goals are to educate and inform tenants and small property landlords about: 1) the benefits of energy efficiency and water conservation and how they can achieve those benefits through City of Los Angeles programs or behavior modification and 2) current tenant and landlord rights and obligations. The SAJE Outreach Associate will report to SAJE’s Outreach Coordinator. With the Outreach Coordinator, the Outreach Associate will design a canvassing plan, canvass neighborhoods and distribute materials, set up and lead educational workshops, and design social media posts. Outreach Associates may also work to develop organizing and outreach plans with other organizational staff.
1) A valid California driver’s license, auto insurance, and a dependable car. Car (and then insurance) may be purchased after hiring, but must be acquired expeditiously.
2) Ability to converse and write fluently in English.
3) Ability to converse and write fluently in Spanish AND/OR substantial experience working with or living in low income urban communities.
4) Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to speak comfortably with people in highly varied life situations.
5) Able to complete necessary reporting duties with accuracy and timeliness.
6) Ability to work evenings and weekends. (On some occasions work may require irregular and long hours.)
1) Knowledge of landlord/tenant law and housing issues, energy efficiency, or water conservation.
2) Experience working in tenant, community, environmental or labor organizing groups.
3) Experience in and commitment to community activism, social justice, environmentalism, or sustainability.
4) Working knowledge of standard office software applications.
5) Four years of college, preferably completed, OR full time work experience OR a combination thereof.
COMPENSATION & SCHEDULE:
$19.25 / hour. This is a full-time time position with medical, dental, and vision benefits, three weeks of vacation, paid holidays, and sick leave. This position is currently scheduled to be funded for one year, but may be extended. Typically associates will work Monday through Friday, 10 am to 7 pm with a one hour unpaid lunch, but hours and days may vary.
This opportunity is ideal for a recent college graduate or someone interested in starting a career in a new field. Minority, women, and LGBTQ job seekers are STRONGLY encouraged to apply.