MERCADO LA PALOMA – Economic Development Manager
Esperanza Community Housing Corporation was founded in 1989 to address displacement and housing insecurity. Esperanza Community Housing Corporation is a social justice non-profit in South Central Los Angeles that achieves long-term, comprehensive community development. We recognize that Indigenous, Black and Latino immigrant communities are disproportionately impacted by historical oppression, health disparities, disinvestment and displacement. Therefore, we develop and preserve affordable housing; elevate health equity and access to care; mobilize for environmental justice; create and protect local economic opportunities; expand engagement in arts and culture; and advocate for policies protecting human rights. Esperanza works collaboratively to strengthen South Los Angeles. In all of our actions, Esperanza builds hope with the community.
Mercado la Paloma is Esperanza Community Housing’s economic development venue; a former garment factory that has been redeveloped as a vibrant cultural and culinary hub, with restaurants, folk arts shops and services that are all first-time family owned businesses.
The Mercado la Paloma Economic Development Manager (the Manager) will be responsible for advancing the goals of Mercado la Paloma while supporting its sustainability and economic success. The Manager will be responsible for day to day management of the vendors, non-profit tenants, employees and customers as well as the development of long term goals. The Manager will be expected to manage vacancies and screen for potential new and exciting businesses that fit with Esperanza’s mission and goals, negotiate and maintain lease contracts, and coordinate events in the space. The Economic Development Manager will represent Esperanza and the Mercado on relevant coalitions. The ideal candidate will be a motivated and driven problem solver with knowledge of the community, a desire to support local business, and the creativity to see past traditional economic development practices in order to aid in the creation of more equitable and sustainable development in and from South Los Angeles. This candidate will possess the ability to work independently and accomplish goals with modest oversight.
FINANCIAL PERFORMANCE & VIABILITY
- Developing a financial plan and resources to ensure healthy financial operations and long term financial sustainability.
- Managing the budget and reporting with the support of other senior staff.
- Convening and developing Mercado la Paloma Board of Directors in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission, as well as reporting to Esperanza Community Housing Board of Directors.
ORGANIZATION MISSION AND STRATEGY
- Holding regular meetings with vendors and second floor tenants of community-serving non-profits to assess needs, create solutions, develop collaborative relationships, and improve success in achieving the Mercado’s purpose.
- Co-convening the Arts and Cultural Programming Committee of Esperanza Community Housing, which leads a critical program that helps increase Mercado patronage and community engagement.
- Enhancing the Mercado’s image by being active and visible in the community, including developing and coordinating marketing materials and outreach.
- Overseeing the effective administration of the Mercado’s operations.
- Ensuring appropriate contractors are used regarding the maintenance and improvement of the Mercado building.
- Overseeing vendor compliance with policy, insurance, and licensing requirements.
- Ensuring timely completion of permits, licenses, taxes and insurance.
- Supervising staff and providing HR support for the Mercado’s Facility Manager, Maintenance and Security staff.
- Understanding and support of Esperanza’s organizational Vision, Mission & Values;
- 3-5 years of experience in small business development and operations, and/or community development;
- Excellent organizational and management skills;
- Skilled problem solver and mediator;
- Experience with budgets and financial planning and management;
- Strong capacity to plan, organize and evaluate programs and activities;
- Bachelor’s degree required/Master’s degree preferred, especially in the areas of business administration, urban planning, or other related field;
- Bi-lingual in Spanish and English strongly preferred;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Experience with, and knowledge of, multi-ethnic and underserved communities.
This position is supervised by the Executive Director of Esperanza Community Housing.
Salary: DOE, commensurate with experience. Esperanza offers full health and dental benefits, 401K, group life, long term disability.
Interested parties should submit a cover letter, and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject line: Mercado la Paloma Economic Development Manager.
Women and South Los Angeles residents strongly encouraged to apply.