Community Engagement Specialist with the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health
The mission of the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (DPH) is to protect health, prevent disease, and promote health and well-being for everyone in Los Angeles County. One of the Department’s top priorities is to advance health equity. Research has increasingly shown that social and economic conditions contribute to approximately 40% of community health and longevity. DPH is committed to reducing health disparities through collaborations with a wide range of partners. The Department strives to support policies, practices and programs that lead to healthier environments.
The City and Community Health Profiles (CCHP) report series was developed by DPH to provide local level data for a broad array of indicators known to impact community health and well-being. A total of 86 profiles were created for cities and unincorporated communities across Los Angeles County, collectively representing over 90% of the total County population. These reports are intended to support efforts to improve health and well-being in cities and communities throughout Los Angeles County.
The Community Engagement Specialist will be responsible for implementing community outreach and engagement strategies to promote the CCHPs throughout Los Angeles County. They will also compile and evaluate feedback from stakeholders to improve future data products produced by DPH’s Office of Health Assessment and Epidemiology as well as inform DPH’s community engagement strategies. Please note, this will be a 12-month contract position.
Salary range: $4,964.74 - $5566.24 per month
· Specific duties of the Community Engagement Specialist include, but are not limited to:
- Developing and sustaining relationships with internal (within DPH) and external stakeholders throughout Los Angeles County to promote and facilitate the use of the CCHPs for community planning and public health promotion; external stakeholders may include but are not limited to city agencies, community-based organizations, advocacy networks, and the faith-based community
- Giving in-person presentations to community-based organizations, city officials, and other relevant stakeholders throughout Los Angeles County on the CCHP report series and continuously refining the presentation content and format in response to feedback from presentation attendees
- Conducting in-person and telephone-based interviews to solicit feedback on CCHP products to improve future editions of the CCHP report series as well as inform DPH’s community engagement strategies around data dissemination
- Database management and data entry using a data management mechanism, such as Microsoft Excel or Access, to collect and maintain project-related data, including inventory of stakeholders to whom presentations have been given and data from feedback surveys
- Preparing project-related reports for multiple audiences, including funders, internal stakeholders, and academic audiences
- Providing technical assistance and training to stakeholders in using the CCHPs for planning, data analysis, grant-writing, and health promotion
- Other duties as assigned
1. Master’s degree in a community-oriented academic discipline such as Public Health, Public Relations, Public Policy, Social Work, or Community Organizing/Advocacy;
2. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and three years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties described above.
- Experience, education, or demonstrated interest in helping communities use data to advance population health and health equity;
- In-depth understanding of the social determinants of health and the root causes of health disparities;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Computer skills and knowledge of public health and socioeconomic and demographic data, data management, and data analysis;
- Valid Class C California’s Driver’s License, proof of vehicle insurance, and reliable transportation for travel to a variety of sites throughout Los Angeles County;
- Willingness to spend a substantial amount of time attending events and meetings throughout Los Angeles County;
- Should be flexible, organized, tenacious, diplomatic, and a team player, with the ability to work and produce in a fast-paced environment;
- Should have ability to work flexible hours and be accessible in the evening.
For more information, please contact Megha Shah at firstname.lastname@example.org.
THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL COUNTY EXAMINATION ANNOUNCEMENT.