In defense of prevention, and the prevention fund
In three short years, the Prevention and Public Health Fund has provided support to immunize children, reduce chronic disease, and help communities across the country develop plans to improve the health of residents. Yet the Fund continues to come under relentless attack. Read PI Executive Director Larry Cohen's latest piece in TheHill.com on why we need to maintain our investment in prevention.
Twinkie insanity hits the House
Last month, Rep Aaron Schock of Illinois introduced a bill to muzzle the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). He wants to stop the CDC from pointing out that Twinkies and sodas are bad for people's health -- supposedly because that would be bad for our country's economic growth. In our latest, we explore why this legislation is the exact opposite of what's needed to fix our nation's ailing health and economy. With Marion Nestle.
The Safety Illusion: That SUV Won't Protect you from Climate Change
Read our latest Huffington Post, co-authored with Dr. Richard Jackson, on Land Rover's recent ad campaign which preys on growing awareness about climate change to sell more cars -- and what this means for public health, safety and sustainability.
Judge's Ruling on New York Soda Cap: A Supersized Flop with Four Big Flaws
PI's Will Haar and Rob Waters analyze the flaws in the ruling that blocked New York City's sugar-sweetened beverage cap.
Obama Points to Minneapolis as a Model for Reducing Youth Violence
In our latest Huffington Post, PI's Larry Cohen writes about what we can learn from Minneapolis in creating effective programs to reduce violence.
- Workplace wellness regulations: First, do no harm
- Lucky 13 for ’13: Top Resources of 2012
- Newtown Was an Atrocity; Violence Is a Daily Scourge. We Can and Must Change This Picture.
- We Can't Drill or Drive Our Way to Health
- Making Prevention Visible from Coast to Coast
- Check Us Out: Prevention Institute Presents at APHA Annual Meeting
- Making the Case for Prevention: Return on Investment and Local Benefits
- Please, Don't Diss the Water
- This August Recess, Share Prevention Successes with Your US Congresspeople
- Health Care Community: Time to Stand Up, Not Stand By
- Shocked but Not Surprised—Yet Another U.S. Massacre
- Implications from Aurora
- Framing Prevention: Making the Human and Economic Case
- Big Pharma: Take it Back -- Protect Our Water and Health
- Moving Beyond the Supreme Court Ruling: Advancing Prevention and Equity
- For America’s Birthday, Let’s Protect Our Troops from Legal Drugs
- Growing Up Injury-Free in the 21st Century
- Framing Prevention: Showcasing Successful Community Examples
- U.S. Surgeon General Releases The National Prevention Council Action Plan: Tweet Round-up
- Convergence Innovation Fund: Promoting Health and Equity through Built Environment and Healthy Food Access Policy
- Sustaining Congressional Support for Prevention
- Soda: Size Does Matter
- Framing Prevention: Expanding Upon Preventive Health Care Services
- Larry Cohen's Written Testimony for the Task Force for Defending Childhood
- Prevention Institute’s Testimony in Support of Alameda County’s Safe Medication Disposal Ordinance
- Redefining Health Care: Community Prevention as a human right
- Setting a New Academic Standard: Getting Junk Food Out of Schools
- PreventConnect 2012 Web Conferences: Connect for Success: Enhancing impact through innovative partnerships
- Bright Paint or Bright Kids?
- Joint Oversight Hearing of the Assembly and Senate Committees on Health: Prevention for a Healthier California
- Prevention Institute's statement on President Obama’s 2013 Budget Proposal
- Creeps and Weirdos: the auto industry agenda for keeping you on four wheels
- Reporters can do better: Media coverage of Sandusky trial amplifies shame/silence of sexual abuse
- 12 for 2012: Prevention Institute’s most popular resources
- Congratulations—Youth Violence Prevention funding partially restored
- House Payroll Tax Vote Compromises Health
- Docs won’t benefit from prevention cuts
- Lifting the Veil of Secrecy: Stopping Sexual Abuse in Sports and Every Institution
- Standing Up for Community Prevention: Op-Ed Roundup
- New Resources For Moving Health Equity Forward
- Prevention for the 99%: Prevention Institute supports the Occupy Movement
- We're Not Buying It: Stop Junk Food Marketing to Kids
- Prevention, Population Health and the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation
- Connecting the Dots: Community Safety and Latino Child Nutrition
- For Want of a Crosswalk, a Life was Lost
- Doctor support critical in the fight for community prevention
- Food Industry: Walk the Talk to Protect Our Kids' Health
- Watching Prevention Make History
- Gary Yates: A Career of Transformative Grantmaking
- Prevention: Saving seniors, Medicare - and a trillion dollars
- Prevention Works: Affordable Care Act Is Already Building Health Where You Live
- From Vision to Reality: Prevention and the Affordable Care Act Anniversary
- Senseless Violence in Tucson
- When it comes to health reform, Dr Tom Coburn: First, do no harm
- No Cookies 2 my Kid. Community Prevention 4evR
- An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Repeal
- Building Health in All Policies
- AAA: Their Policies should be as Good as their Service. A conversation between Larry Cohen and Dick Jackson
- Celebrating the Life and Work of Beverly Coleman-Miller, M.D.
- 180 Days of Prevention and Health Reform: evidence of early success
- The Johanns Amendment is Making Us Sick
- Prevention and Public Health Fund: Good for our health, good for small business
- What Role can Health Impact Assessment Play in the National Health Reform Initiative?
- Moving from Them to Us: Preventing violence in the aftermath of Oscar Grant's death
- As American as Apple Pie: Policies that Protect Health
- Not in Sickness; in Health: How Health Reform could Start a Real Revolution
- There's no such thing as an accident: a prevention approach to the Gulf oil spill
- Prevention Invests in Physical and Fiscal Health
- "Let's Move" Task Force Breaks New Ground
- Health Reform Update from Capitol Hill
- Lunch with the Governor (and the Coke Salesman)
- Minneapolis Earns National Recognition
- Book Reading: International Leaders in Equity
- Web Convening: "Moving from Them to Us: Challenges in Reframing Violence among Youth"
- Urban Networks to Increase Thriving Youth: UNITY Announcements: November 2009
- Prevention Institute Turns Twelve!